Friday, December 30, 2016
Thursday, December 29, 2016
Someone posted this on Facebook and I am sorry I don't have a reference for where it came from.
But it hit both my funny bone AND my "uh oh" bone.
You wouldn't want to disappoint the "squirrel of judgment"!!! Hahaha.
Having TWO new computer devices arrive for Christmas has "sucked" a LOT of time over the last two weeks...getting things "migrated" from one computer to the other, getting used to a new format for my Apple (Sierra) and then also a new format on my new iPad. How nuts with THAT decision. Hahaha. Whew...how is that for a confession!
Back to art...I have a huge array of ideas on my studio table...no problem about what ideas to create...more a problem of where to start. I usually start with clean up and organization. This NEEDS to get done. I want to throw open the studio windows this morning (it's 85 again here in central FL...no complaints there).
When perplexed, I always start with re-organization. I finished up the paper clay projects (for now) and I'd like to move back to wc painting and sketching for part of January. Some new ideas on the back burner there. And I'd like to work a bit on the ZenAgain workshop I am planning for later in January here in the park (for folks who had basic course already).
I haven't done any gelli printing this fall at all.
That studio table is mess. Sigh. A catch all.
I am trying to work up a group here in the park for a "drawing a day" challenge until Feb 6 (about 4 weeks). I think I need the support for that challenge too. I am always inspired by Danny Gregory. That link by the way takes you to a little video about drawing every day. There is a new course on Sketchbook Skool if you want to get serious about it.
Okay...am off to that organization excitement. Hahaha. Photos of neat and tidy studio to follow. I hope.
Friday, December 23, 2016
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
|Moleskin journal 5 x 10|
Sunday, December 18, 2016
|So then using rubber gloves I removed the burnt umber acrylic with rubbing alcohol.|
This process sort of antiques the clay...leaving dark residue in all the crevices.
Saturday, December 17, 2016
|Zentangle Vase: Oil based marker-8" high|
They will decorate our "tea tables" at the very nice show we have on March 12, 2017 (1-4) in Leesburg, FL (open to the public).
Naturally I thought of Zentangle! I have filled mine with cotton balls only to show off the designs a little better for the camera. But I do think I'll need to find something white and interesting for the actual show. It need not be edible but it could be. Suggestions?
I thought of mini-marshmallows. Or white mints.
I also thought of using some skewers I might have some little flags (in black and white) with "welcome" on them or something.
If anyone has a good suggestion about how to finish this off in a clever fashion put them in the comments. I think the vases will be saved to use another year but I am not sure.
Sunday, December 4, 2016
10 x 10 on gallery wrapped canvas
My second paper clay project is for a scholarship giveaway up in WI this summer. Nothing like getting it done early! But I can show it the Hawthorne Park show IF I deem it worthy.
Okay so in this one, with a photo reference, I decided on a wild bright yellow/orange/green background. The I drew the flower on heavy tracy paper and cut out the pieces to assemble. Whew.
This took hours. But I am pleased with the result. But it's hard to imagine the finished piece yet.
So now it dried overnight and still isn't completely dry. So now it is in the sun on my desk by the window (good hot FL sun) and it should be dry today.
I think the steps I'll follow will be slightly different for this piece.
I will cover the WHOLE piece with a wash of white gesso. While wet, I'll wipe off most of the gesso from the background leaving some wispy glazes. Or that is the plan anyway. Let dry.
Then I'll add two coats of clear gloss acrylic over just the clay. Letting dry between each coat. Then…this I am not sure yet…then I think I cover the clay with a thin glaze of burnt umber and black acrylic and let dry. (Scary, huh?)
Then comes the antiquing step with rubbing alcohol. I'll rub off most of the dark paint leaving just dark in the textures. Let dry. I may hard some dark around the outside of the clay edges as well. THEN, I can finally add color to the flowers and leaves.
If everything is as I wish (hmmm) then I have two coats of gloss acrylic medium/varnish. Wish me luck.
Thursday, December 1, 2016
I've completed the paper clay/acrylic project. See previous post for information on how I put it together. The final two coats of gloss/varnish have been put on.
If you wanted to frame this you would have use kind of a shadow box format. Or it could most likely be displayed on a little easel of some sort.
Now what I "should" do is complete a second one right away so I remember the steps but try a little different technique. This one is an "appliqué" type where I glued the clay on canvas board at the end.
Many of the projects in the book just have you put the wet clay onto the board or the canvas and let it dry there.