Friday, February 24, 2012

Lian Zhen workshop: second painting

Lots more abstract Wednesday.

I had more difficulty relating to the compositional elements in this one.
Each of us placed our water lilies in different places in our compositions...both portrait and landscape.

This and previous one are half sheet of 140# cold press Arches wc paper.

As in the boat painting just before this, the technique involved spraying drying paper with a sprayer..pouring or dropping 3 basic wcs onto the wet paper and moving them with your fingers or with blowing the paint. All background is "brushless". We all used Graham (honey) watercolors in 3 primary colors. He prefers Hansa yellow, Prussian blue, and either Quin Rose or Pyrrol red. (Graham can be found at Dick Blick.) Pyrrol has an orange leaning while Quin Rose has a cooler, bluer cast.

After everything dries then the brush work begins...flats and rounds. Painting the flowers wet on dry and then negative painting around the lily pads. I used a blend of red/blue on the left bottom corner that I am not sure is working. I may wash this down to a lighter level as it is nice color but too dark for a corner of a painting. So I have some tweaking to do on it.

In all the workshop was great fun. And I'll post a few more photos of the teacher applying his techniques soon. Right now I am busy typing the Fine Art booklet for our art show here at Hawthorne park, hosting company which includes two grandsons, and keeping up with my drawing class which will draw to a close next Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Another beautiful painting - looks to me like you have mastered this technique.

    ReplyDelete