Friday, June 21, 2024

Summer Begins

Musings on a Friday morning in June…

one day into summer in Madison. 

June 21, 2024


Yesterday was the longest day of the calendar year.  Summer is officially here ―meteorologically at least.  We all know that there are a lot of ways that a day can feel VERY long without actual clock time being involved.  I’ve experienced quite a few of them over my 84 years.  And, to be fair, a day can be very short for the opposite reason.  I try hard to think on the delightful too-short days mostly now.  Einstein has tried (unsuccessfully for me) to explain how time is relative and actual physical time varies depending a lot of science.  How fast you are moving for instance.  But for most of us in the real world, it’s mental mood, physical well-being, and the surroundings that determine sense of time. 


The real way I notice these longer days is that when I wake up early it’s light.  Unlike those January and February mornings when it’s pitch dark at that same time and seems to take forever for dawn to break.  And it’s “summer light” which is different as it bounces off warm humid green things and not sharp light that bounces off cold snow and thin air.  


We leave for the Northwoods cabin next week.  Packing has started. That always gets me to thinking about time. It goes much slower up there for no particular scientific reason but instead it’s a combination of huge quiet, big skies, lots of water to look at reflecting that big sky, amazing sunsets, more open windows and the dappling light on the forest floor.  Also the smell of piney woods and wood fires and the sound of loons. Here's a sketch from last July.  




You can go into any gift store in towns up there and find hundreds of hand painted signs trying to capture the up-north feeling enticing you to bring it home to hang it over the fireplace or above the kitchen window.  Usually with a bear or a loon painted with it.  Everyone should get a few…it’s tradition.    


The spring/summer season has been climate changed now and we get a lot more huge weather swings…huge rains and then a lot more drought…wild variations that last too long. And this year a lot more heat…breaking records in southern WI with 90s even in May.  And a tornado to boot.  But we are so thankful to not have forest fires or floods as so many have had to endure!   


The older I get the more I anticipate the Adirondack chairs on the deck, the stacks of book by my favorite chair, the fun jig saw puzzles on the porch, chilled wine, morning coffee, my sketchbook and the quiet.  Family comes to visit there…and that is increasingly joyful as life goes on.  


Below are a few samples of some art work or happenings in Madison since last I sent out the blog.  


Here I am sketching at Madison's Olbrich Gardens in early June.


Our newest great granddaughter, Laikyn arrived on May 7

Here's the sketch I did at Olbrich Gardens in early June here n Madison

A sketch in the Oakwood Forest in early May


A sample of the many "triangle" Zentangles done during the latest project pack.  


I did this sketch fairly shortly before we had a tornado come through Madison.  This old tree made it through but we lost a lot of beautiful old trees during the storm.  


A little gouache painting I did of our anniversary flowers.  
We celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary on June 17.  
This is a new medium for me so it's pretty experimental.  


Here's a note of memoriam to my old friend Margaret Gregg who passed away unexpectedly in May.

Greg and I and Julie will attend her memorial service 
next Tuesday in Williams Bay.
Life will never be the same without this dear dear friend.  




1 comment:

  1. I will never quite understand why I am privileged to get your blogs. You are so artistic and talented and I am lucky to paint the walls in the living room. I'm enjoying Arcola, playing a little golf and exercising at the YMCA. Also making new friends and keeping busy. If I do get to Madison it looks like it would be in August

    ReplyDelete