Saturday, April 14, 2012

Collage/mixed media journal covers


As I mentioned in my previous blog...I am currently kind of "into" reading and trying out various kinds of multi media for journal covers.

This inside pages of this journal are already completed and it is a small landscape moleskin that I've worked on over a period of two years. All travel journal entries...mostly watercolor and ink. The journal cover is (like Julie's before me) done on a piece of artist canvas and finished off with a coat of acrylic medium. The slight figure you see ghosted near the center is actual a black and white photo of Marjorie Rawlins (who I mentioned in the previous post). Then I used maps, tickets, stamps, feathers, and stamping. All the color is fluid acrylic but watercolor could have been used if I had done the color before I put on the acrylic gel medium which resists watercolor.

Now...these are two journals side by side (left for Alex and right for Maddy) two of my grandkids graduating soon. The names I made with a fun website called "scribbler". When I finished the scribble art, I took a "screen shot" of the art and pulled if off onto the desktop. Then pulled it back into a blank Word document, printed it out and watercolored it and cut it out.

Click here for the scribbler site. Follow the simple directions.

The journals are bound journals (from Office Depot). I would have liked to do something hand made but there is not time for that right now. The white is again, canvas...such a nice textured background. I haven't glued anything down yet. I am in the process of going through old photographs and ephemera. Trying to decide what would look fun. Alex is 18 and Maddy is 22. Setting off on the journey of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment