Monday, April 9, 2012

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

What a lovely day to visit a "cracker" Florida home. The author of The Yearing and Cross Creek lived just about an hour north of where I spend my winters in central Florida.
Cross Creek Florida is just north of Ocala.

Marjorie (although not a native of FL) became a Floridian in the true sense of the word. She came in 1928. Her home and the grounds of the orchard and farm are now an historic State Park. The tours are interpreted by people who have grown up in this area and authentic stories that have been passed down are shared. It's a wonderful place to visit. Since I had taken the tour before...while my guests toured...I sketched with chickens and roosters scrambling around my feet! Her 1940 Oldsmobile is still parked in the carport.

No comments:

Post a Comment