Saturday, April 4, 2020

Finishing up Sketchbook Revival Prompts...Day 10,11,12


Day 10...actually a demonstration of a frozen lake...quite nice with limited palette.  But frankly I could not get my head around sketching a frozen lake when it's 85 degrees and sunny in Florida.  The artist was interested in sharing her technique of using cling wrap to make watery/icy texture in the lake...so I just transferred it to the view out my studio window with the pond beyond.  Then she suggested pasting a bit of cling wrap right there to remind yourself how you did it.  So I did.  The second prompt had to do with perspective and although I enjoyed watching the video I was not even remotely interested in the prompt.  



For some reason I got emotional about this prompt...a delightful demo of ink/watercolor (which is, of course, right down my alley). The artist did a very free form sketching ink drawing which fit well with the subject matter and she allowed us to download the subject inspiration photo as well.  Hundreds of sunflower samples appeared on the face book group after this one...everyone was inspired.  And each sunflower looked different.  I wrote a bit about it, how it symbolized "hope" as although it was finished blooming it carried the seeds for spring.  I had over 85 responses on the page. Below is a slightly better photo of it.  I had to fold it to fit into the sketchbook.



Below is the last prompt for this time around.  I was disappointed actually that for the last one, something a little more dramatic might have been chosen.  One was a talk about discipline and how it figures into how you get things done.  I liked her analogy that discipline is like a riverbed holding and shaping your life (the water) so that it carries along and doesn't wander off.  So I sketched a river for that one even though she had no art activity to accompany the prompt.  

The last prompt was by Karen Abend herself and she suggested illustrating some of your favorite quotes.
I ran out of steam for illustration and made them very tiny. I picked "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!" by Mark Twain.  AND "The true measure of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit" by Nelson Henderson.


I said to Greg this morning, that now that the discipline of having a prompt to open each morning is done, I need to find my own personal prompts as the weeks of isolation continue here.  We brainstormed some ideas...adding a card game after lunch, cleaning a cupboard I've been meaning to get to, doing some more work with clay that I enjoyed getting into during the prompt, working on finally finishing my memoir.  

I added a face mask to my "littles" this morning as we have now all be cautioned to wear them outside the park.  We did need to go to the eye doctor yesterday so Greg could check out the eye injury he got a week ago as to the healing.  (He is healing well, but the redness will take time to dissipate).  

I stopped at the post office for stamps on the way home in a little town nearby where I was pretty sure there would not be a lot of people (one other one) and I wore my mask for the first time.  



No comments:

Post a Comment