Thursday, February 10, 2011

OH MY GOSH...En Plein Air in 2011


It felt SOOOO good to be outside painting again. After a chilly start to the 2011 season in central Florida...we are now getting some of those yummy days again where you want to be painting outside!

Dawn and Donna and I met at the Lake Eustis Sailing Club yesterday and spent 9:30 to 2 there painting and sketching. Off shore breezes and 70 and sunny. Just lovely.

We were in sweat shirts but in the sun it was almost too warm! Felt great. I always put on my "Cuddle Duds" shirt under my sweat shirts when the mornings start out cool. This is a lightweight cotton underliner shirt that adds just the right thermal layering for en plein air. (You get them at JC Penny).

The first picture shows a little watercolor sketch (30 min) that I did of the club storage houses where they have their sign. Nice shadows.

The second is an acrylic (11 x 14 on canvas board) of the lovely marshy area with the white buoys in the water. I am thinking I need to lighten up the water that comes into the cove area so that it "reads" water a little more.
Last is a little shot of my set up for the acrylic painting. LOVE my white umbrella which I have had for years and years. It sure saved the day yesterday and allowed me to paint pretty much wherever I wanted to and not be worried about glare on the canvas.

We are meeting next week at Venetian Gardens in leesburg around 9 am. Anyone want to join us?

We bring our lunch and some people stay on to paint and some people take off.


1 comment:

  1. I certainly enjoyed reading your "plein air" blog! I am really getting cabin fever and need to get out and paint. The only problem is that I don't think my bones are going to work in 8 degree weather - my poor old hands would be sticks! I love your painting and your set up for painting!

    ReplyDelete