Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yupo Demo

During the Watercolor on Yupo class yesterday I started this demo. It is just blocked out at this point. It is a half sheet.

I decided on a still life/ interior. I did have a photo for inspiration but shortly after doing the sketch I misplaced the photo...which is probably just as well.

Right now I am just looking at shapes and lights and darks...trying to connect some of the shapes and look at some of the values. Although in Yupo everything is possible. I can get back the whites and go back in with darks at any time. I think it is harder to stop painting in Yupo because of that.

I still have lots of ideas about how to manage and manipulate the paint and push the textures a bit. I want to work on the dresser so it is not stark white but is still a light. I am not too sure about the tangent line of the mirror behind the lamp...I may "fatten" up the lamp a bit. I haven't decided how the ams on the chair will work in yet. There are some books stacked on the dresser (a chance for another shape and a way to connect darks?) So many fun things to think about.

We had a really nice group at the class Monday morning. 8-10 people and lots of good discussion and we watched part of the George James Part II DVD.

Pat shared one she did after the last class and she had traced her drawing onto the yupo using a waxy carbon paper. What happened was the lines resisted the paint. It was an unexpected surprise! I will try to get Pat to send me a good photo of that as it really turned out quite uniquely. I think you could do this with wax paper too.

Happy Ground Hog day tomorrow!
Also I hope all of you are safe on this blizzard day! OH my gosh. Couldn't be happier to be in Florida right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment