Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lovin' Yupo All Over Again!


I go away from Yupo for awhile and sort of "forget" it is there. Then something comes up and I am back. What a fascinating thing it is!!!

George James made all the difference for me. His techniques are bright, fun, colorful, upfront applications. Just the way I love to work with watercolor. Click here for a 2 minute video of George.

I am joining my friend, Phyllis, in teaching a refresher Yupo class next Monday here in Florida at my Fine Arts Club. I decided to start off the refresher with some of James' basic techniques illustrated on a sheet of Yupo.

I created some samples to remind us all various things to try: variegated washes, flat and graded washes, cutting out, lifting with spray, lifting with objects, ghosting, value adjustments, and glazes.

And some of the basic tools of the trade.

Kleenex is a must. Good assortment of flat brushes. A foam roller. Watercolor paints and a sprayer.
After that the name of game is "innovate". What have you got that will make a mark, a stamp, or lift off color in an exciting way? Sponges, stencils, screens, stamps, etc.

Yupo comes in various weights and transparent as well. I love heavy weight or transparent myself. You can draw on it using a watercolor pencil which, of course, will disappear.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ginny, Good luck with your class on Monday. I've never used yupo, though I gather it can be a lot of fun to work with. It looks like the perfect thing to do on a Monday!

    ReplyDelete