Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Janet Roger's watercolor portrait workshop

I attended day 1 of a 3-day Janet Rogers workshop today and as always came home pretty exhausted.

That is a sign of a good workshop! We started promptly at 9 and didn't leave until 4:30 with only about 1/2 hour for lunch! Yikes.

First comes my pencil sketch that I plan to paint tomorrow. Luckily I did it on drawing paper and so I can re-trace it onto watercolor paper as many times as I want to. This gives me less anxiety. Janet did about an hour of demo on features and drawing first.

The second image is my "blind contour" drawing of the same face. HA! Well...sort of a Picasso version, don't you think? Janet does this to loosen us up and make us look carefully at the photo.

The third image is a partly finished demo Janet did of another photograph. Notice the number of colors in the skin tones!!! Janet's rose violet, raw sienna, several blues, several greens. Amazing!

And the last image is of Janet herself.
What a pleasant teacher she is!

This workshop is being held at the Leesburg, FL Center for the Arts.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Ginny, Your portrait work is wonderful! I was particularly excited to see your blind contour drawing. I think it is interesting that Janet Rogers encouraged you to loosen up with a blind contour drawing. I like how you combined loose, open areas with detailed areas in your top portrait. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ginny! I took her workshop last year, and my drawing looked like kindergarten next to yours! I think you will have a wonderful painting. Needless to say, portraits aren't my thing! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete