Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Florida birds part Two


Today my friend Claudia (see Claudia in photos) and I painted together in my studio. Nothing like having a friend over to get you in the mood for a painting.

We put on some quiet music.
First we talked about colors, supplies, brushes and paper (just a little) and I recommended Brenda Swenson's little book called Keeping a Watercolor Sketchbook for a good starting off place.

You can still get that paperback at Cheap Joe's for only $8.99 and it's a real bargain.

In this painting there really isn't a lot of color...just some shading on the birds and a lot of fun oranges. Mostly we are working on hard and soft edges.

The rock was done mostly with a sponge and now I'll go back and put in more shading and a bit more detail on the rock. Claudia and I are planning on putting a dark background behind the birds. That should pop them out.

We are working on 1/8 sheet of Arches 140# cold press.

No comments:

Post a Comment