Monday, June 22, 2009

Batik on Unryu paper: Another try

 This time I decided to try using Unryu paper instead of Masa paper.  A VERY different experience, by the way.  Unryu is very transparent and is very much like trying to put your work on a piece of tissue paper!  I will give you some of my steps but if you really want more detail on this you can go to 
Sandy Maudlin's blog for last week (around June 18 or 19 I think) and she has a lot more info. And if you scan back down to my first batik project you will  also see a link to her explain in Wet Canvas.  I am using both of these to help me get started.  I decided to draw the image on the freezer paper (shiny side) rather than try to draw on the rice paper which I would find almost impossible!  

The second photo (sorry it got so yellow for some odd reason)...I just put in to show that I am using a potpourri pot for melting the wax.  I put water in it and then a tin can and put the paraffin in that.  Sandy uses a small fry pan for her's but I couldn't find one.  This seems to work really well for me as it uses very little space but I don't have much control over the temp.  So I am REALLY careful.  I would never melt this directly in the pot.  Now for those of you interested in getting a small electric fry pan such as Sandy shows on her blog that will regulate the heat as you melt the wax, you can go to Carol Write's catalog and order it on sale for $19.99. 

No comments:

Post a Comment