Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First time beginner to watercolor...

These suggestions are ONLY and I stress this highly, ONLY for someone who enrolls in my watercolor sketching class (September 16 in Woodruff, WI) and
has NO supplies whatsoever and does not have time to get the proper supplies OR wants to get a feel for how watercolor journals go before investing in the money in proper supplies.  (I can see my first watercolor teacher, Paulette Jensen, reading this and cringing.  NO.)  She really believes in the proper equipment.  Me too.  But let's face it many people just want to "doodle around a little with this idea of watercolor to SEE if they might like to get more involved.  I hate to say this, but everything you see here is strictly WalMart.  I can't even recommend Michaels for people here in the north woods taking my class.  The closest one is Wausau!!!  We really are stuck in the boonies up here.  I have to order everything from catalogs. 
But if you want to at least "play" a little for about $20.  Here's what to get.  Dale Rowney tube watercolors ($7.47) and a little mixing palette for $1.00 (you'll need a few white styro plates in addition or a white plate.)   Then some paper...this is at least 90# ($4.97) and some brushes ($5.72).  
Again this are going to be eventually be your "frisket brushes" some day but for now just to get to into it, they will do.
Then finally you will need some pens (and I did recommended an ultra fine black sharpie in the supply list) but another option would be a black gel pen (permanent ink) as they have a little finer point. The ones I like are Uniball Medium .7 (2 for $3.44). The other things on the list I think you can find for yourself. (the list is at the right side of the blog if you scroll down.)  And I promise, Paulette, to give them the right scoop on the proper materials when I get them in class!!!  For more info on the class, price etc. just click on "sketching" in the labels. 







5 comments:

  1. Well, you knew I'd be reading this.....but I "GET IT"!
    Being the purist transparent WC artist that I am---I know that this could be the best/only way to get some students addicted to the wonderful beauty of my passion Watercolor! Keep up the great work, Ginny--- I know you have the same passion as I---what a great feeling to PAINT in WC---I truly LOVE the process of putting down paint into a watery puddle and watching gorgeous things happen! Hugs, Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginny - thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog, and I'm very happy to discover yours - looks like some lovely things happening here, I'll be back! I did a short reply to your questions in my comments and will do so in more detail soon, but am just so busy with a mammoth job at the moment, my blog is taking a backseat for a while - hope to be back in action soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that Paulette would read that blog about the cheap-o supplies but am glad you understand! Hahahaha. My daughter Julie sent me the quote I am using under under the title of the blog. It's a nice one, don't you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, should I have bought this stuff before I came up? Or do you have some loaners...so I can "doodle around"...I'm getting an apron that says "doodling around"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doodling Around would be a perfect apron, Julie! And no, I have all the stuff you need. Just come.

    ReplyDelete