Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The aprons say it best....

While visiting the Bradenton, Florida museum shop one day last winter with our friends the Holts (also of Bradenton) I came upon these aprons in the museum shop.  All these wonderful works of art for sale and I pounce on the aprons!  "Born to Paint" says one, "Almost Famous" says another.  Or "So Many Colors, So little Time" and "What Part of IT'S NOT FINISHED Don't You Understand?"  
They make you smile but also nod your head.  It reminds us not to get too self-important...that's for sure.  And that art can inspire humor and laughter for another.  Our own and others!  I keep thinking about that when I put together ideas of paintings.  What about laughter?  I'd like to paint a whole string of paintings that inspire at least a big smile or a chuckle.  (Paper Hands Flowers was one of those...and I think because the image is so small it might be hard to get the joke? Ya have to click on it and enlarge it.) 
The reason for a painting is always of importance to me.  And there can be unending reasons to paint, of course, artists LOVE to talk about their motivations which range from none (just practicing a skill) to the deepest feelings that humans can have.  I think it would all do us well to think more as we begin to sketch out a composition and begin to choose the colors, values, and mood of what it is we really want to convey in the art we are about to embark on.  I think sometimes this purpose does evolve as we paint as well.  But we need to come back to this centering over and over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment