Monday, July 13, 2009

Chinese Vase Sketches

My garage sale find this week was a little Chinese vase (which says on the bottom..."do not use for food...poison")  Must have to do with lead glazing?Anyway I bought it thinking how much fun to put it into some still lifes.  
My main job yesterday (in my studio) was to select the 5 paintings I'll be putting in the next Lakeland Art league show as the mail in deadline is coming up on Friday!  Procrastination again!  So after I got that sorted out, I didn't have time to really get into anything major and decided I'd do a few little sketches of this vase.  Top left is a simple ink and watercolor (Micron pen .005).  The little box on the right top is watercolor.  Left bottom is watercolor pencil and the one next to the vase is water soluble graphite.  Today I'd like to attack that yupo painting that has been calling to me for about two weeks!!!  And then I have some framing to do for the show.  Not my favorite artistic chore!

2 comments:

  1. Ginny...I love your little Chinese vase and your various interpretations in various media.
    So you are also a procrastinator...must be an artist thing (or maybe a teacher thing, Eh?) I don't know how many times I have gone right down to the wire on entering paintings. I think part of it is that I can never make up my mind what paintings to enter - such a mind boggleing decision, right? Have a good week!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, we are NOT alone. When the chairman of this event stood up at the last meeting of the art league she looked absolutely amazed..."I only have 7 people signed up for the show. That's only 35 paintings!!!" she whined. "We usually have 150 paintings in this show. Isn't anyone else showing?" 20 people raised their hands! NONE of us had turned our slips in yet. BUT we were not past the deadline. Everyone just waits!

    ReplyDelete