Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tulips and Yupo


This was done on semi-transparent Yupo (about 15 x 17) with watercolor.  I have been playing with the color and composition for weeks and I actually don't think I am done.  That's the thing with yupo, you never need to be DONE.  You can go on tweaking forever as it wipes clean .  Good and bad I suppose.  It started with artist friend, Lou Fitton's tulip theme early this spring. I was looking for tulip references (of which I had many) and then I got caught up on the tulip frenzy.  They are a gorgeous flower and not too difficult to paint like a rose or a peony.  
My reference photo actually has no tulips in it.  Go figure.  But I was putting several references together in this painting.  I wanted to sort of have a "story" to the painting that might indicate this was along a path that belonged to someone.  Tulips are obviously not a wild flower so it always seems to me, I need to anchor them in their setting.  I took the photo of the stone pot several years ago down in Florida at a house garden at Bok Tower.  I loved the fungus growing on the pots.  They were ornamental and never really meant to "hold" anything I don't think.  
I find now that the tulip leaf is "kissing" the pot in a way I don't like (on the left side) so I think that needs to be changed.  I also was not really true to the pot shape, which is too bad as the shape in the photo is better than my shape.  I don't know if I want to make that large a change at this point however.  I also need to darken the foreground to the left of the pot to match the right.  I like the nice dark foliage in that spot and I like more detail in the foreground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment