Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Framing to Get Ready for Shows


I would have given anything to be in the studio or out sketching today. Sigh. But today had been set aside for framing (or in the case of gallery wrap canvas...wiring) and making sure everything was set to be packed into the car tomorrow.  
 to be sure.  

Everything you see here is watercolor (under glass) Most on Arches 140# cold press although one is on Yupo (tulips with large pot). The exception is the yellow watering can which is acrylic on canvas.  

I tend to find interesting old frames at garage and rummage sales and then have the hard work of taking them all apart, pulling out wires or staples or nails and then cutting mats and foam core, getting glass cut, and fitting everything together again and tacking it. Sometimes I use metal frames which definitely cuts down on the work involved and I think is fine for a show like this one.  Then on top of this I wanted a new bio to be displayed and I wanted my business cards up to date and I wanted a guest book for people to sign....yadda yadda yadda.  There will be over 20 pieces to hang on Friday.  Whew.  No one ever talks much about this part of getting ready to show.  So I just thought I'd share.  

4 comments:

  1. Can't remember how I came upon your blog (senior moment??) but I'm impressed by your work! I feel your (framing) pain! I've got a show coming in September that I'll be getting ready for in a week or so.
    Good luck at your show. I'll stop back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,
    I love your acrylic painting with the yellow watering can! Gorgeous colors! You didn't do that "Jane stlyle" did you?
    Sherese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Deb...had to laugh at your senior moment way of finding my blog. Whatever works...glad to have you drop by. Come again. good luck on your show too. And no, Sharese, this was not really a "Jane Slivka" moment. I actually primed it with black gesso before starting this one. Try this some time and see how it really changes how you look at the canvas! thanks for dropping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny:
    As Deb said "I feel your pain"...I have also "been there!" It is sure a lot of work, but well worth the effort. Your work is beautiful and I wish I were back in the north woods so I could see your new "one woman show!!!" WAH-HOO!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete