Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sketching on a Windy Cool Wisconsin Day

I am trying to use my own good advice and draw in my journal every day (if I am not otherwise involved in an art project in the studio).  Today it was my turn to sit the information booth at the Fireman's Park Art Fair in Arbor Vitae, WI.  So these two scenes were hastily sketched...just the view from my table. I am not too pleased with them and may go back and doodle with them a little more. But it was fun.
 This was more of an arts "and crafts" fair but a lot of wonderful work in fabric, jewelry and north woods art which I classify as painting on birch bark or wood burning on log slices (which I call tree cookies)...but all very well done.  I wish now I'd included some photos of these...as they were lovely.  Next time I will, with the artist's permission, of course.
The left sketch was water soluble pen with a touch of pastel pencil. The other was a more traditional watercolor using that Cotman Field kit I showed two posts ago.  It was a bit chilly in the 73 degrees with a blustery gusty wind.  But it was sunny and we had a good crowd!  My northern art league: Lakeland Art League based in Woodruff, WI sponsored the event.  And I had a number of people come over to watch me sketch.  Children always enjoy watching and they say funny things.  Like "my aunt draws better than you do!"  or the other day one 6 year old said, "here, let me help you."  Hahahaha.  If I'd been painting on paper and not on canvas that day, I might have given him a shot at it.  

2 comments:

  1. I was there! How did I miss you???
    Florie Enders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Florie...I was there from 2-3 pm only.
    Are you a member of Lakeland Art League?
    I am fairly new to active membership and just getting to know people's names. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete