Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A "Shout Out"


I am sure many of you already know now about David Lobenberg and his portrait challenges online.
His recent portrait challenge was called a Global Love-In and he established a blog just to showcase all the people who wanted to be part of that challenge.  They were GREAT and very creative entries and if you click here you can go and see them. I have just learned that when you announce something and send a link like this, bloggers call this sending  A SHOUT OUT.  The NEXT challenge for a self portrait to be sent to him is to portray yourself (in any media) but in a hat or some kind of a head covering depending on your whim or the cultural traditions.  The deadline for that challenge is Sept 12, 2009.  The email site to attach the photo of your portrait is: sushi3@mac.com                                                                                                          
 If you are interested in just looking at David's regular blog, the link to it is on my blog over to the right.  Anyway, I decided to play around a little this morning in order to maybe demonstrate to others who are "portrait-challenged" that you could enter without having to paint yourself in oil or try to emulate Jamie Wyeth.  Although that would be WONDERFUL too!  This is a "study" more or less using light and shadow which I learned to do in Lynn Ferris' class last winter.  I did use frisket (or misket) to white out the area I wanted highlighted so I could do the darks without having to paint around them.  My favorite frisket is Pebeo which is pictured there.  I am challenging my Fine Art's Group down in Leesburg to work on something for this challenge this summer and to bring their efforts together in a small exhibit when the snowbirds return.  I'd love to try something in another style and media now. 


3 comments:

  1. Love the painting and the hat, Ginny! Good work.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your painting Ginny. It would translate beautifully into a lino print! I'll have to check out David's site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your treatment of the photo and your explanation. I like the one with the pink hat also. I'll be looking forward to Sept. 12 to see all the entries.

    ReplyDelete