Sunday, July 26, 2009

Illustrating a Cookbook

My next project is to put together a family cookbook for a wedding gift for my nephew (Sept 5 in Santa Cruz, CA).  7 of us in the family are contributing 4-10 recipes each with photos if possible and if not I am going to watercolor/ink in some of the illustrations.  This is NOT a very good example but I thought I'd give you the "idea".  You can copy these by the way...feel free.  :-)  In some of the entries I have included a photo of great grandma Nell with her recipe or I might have a photo of someone actually eating whatever it is I am making.  In some cases I photo the actual ingredients or paint them (see the chili sauce painting from an early post).  Just thought I'd mention it as it makes a great Christmas present and you need to start ahead of time for such a thing.
I have given some thought to having it actually printed up in a book...you can have that done online now.  But I don't think I'm going to be able to get it done in time to have it for this wedding.  But another time.  I think this one will be a looseleaf notebook.  If I have some more interesting illustrations I may include them at another time.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the addition of photos and/or illustrations. I did something simular for my daughters' first anniversary 19 years ago.(wow! how time flies). I used a small photo album and the back of index cards. Each recipe had an introduction and the book had a preface explaining how the contents of her favorite recipes and family handed down ones constitutes what is know as "tradition". The best part of the experience is that she still has the book. (I saw it in her kitchen when I visited this summer).
    I am so sure that your book will be cherished for years to come too. Hopefully they will pass it down to their children and start a new "tradition".
    Great work, Ginny (as always). Thanks for sharing.
    Cheryl Jacobs

    ReplyDelete