Friday, July 17, 2009

The Very Special Hat

This is a very special hat for me.  And I do wear it a lot so maybe that is why this portrait actually does look more like me to me.  
My eldest daughter, Beth Albright, wore this hat when she walked the 60 miles for the Avon Breast Cancer walk.  She did it in THREE days.  It was shortly after I had been diagnosed with breast cancer and undergone bilateral mastectomies.  (1995).  
I was there when she left Kenosha, WI and then 3 days later, I was there when she walked into down town Chicago.  The events raised a TON of money for breast cancer research.  And she made the walk in my honor.  I'll never forget it my whole life long!  As she finished...she handed me this hat.  
The portrait was done on Canson Montval watercolor paper and is 8 x 10.  

2 comments:

  1. Ginny...this hat is so meaningful to you that you "had" to paint your self-portrait wearing it. What an inspiring story and what a loving daughter. It is also a very nice self-portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb. I need to take another portrait/figure class. I enjoyed one by Roberta Carter Clark years ago. She encouraged me to keep practicing this skill and every now and then I try one. SHE was so good that it was intimidating! But she is a good teacher. I think I am more interested in figures. Have you seen Donna Zagotta's blog with her figures? I love how she handles them.

    ReplyDelete