Friday, July 10, 2009

Enjoying Art in the Kitchen

Interior sketching (indoor sketching) can be just as much fun as en plein air.  One idea I like to throw out to students is to consider your fruits and veggies as painting subjects.  Especially during the summer when gardens are over flowing.  Some artists like to photograph their still lifes outside in natural sunlight and that is probably the best way to get the true colors and the wonderful shadows!  But you can also arrange them indoors by using some strong side lighting or good window light.  You can just sit there and sketch them, of course, but most of us have to get on with the cooking!!!  
The ingredients for my grandmother's homemade sweet tomato condiment (known in the family as "chili sauce" because a few hot peppers are added)  looked so beautiful one late summer day that I grouped them before I began to cook and took several shots from different angles.  
This sketch (just a small one about 5 x 7) has led me to wonder if it wouldn't be fun to illustrate recipe cards or a small cookbook for family members for a holiday gift!  So consider photographing your ingredients before you start and see if you don't have some wonderful and meaningful sketch ideas right at your finger tips!   AND think how family members would enjoy having that self-illustrated recipe.  Also wonderful wedding gifts!  

5 comments:

  1. My son Rick brought me a sack of 8 green peppers and 2 beautiful zucchinis...now I am thinking of them in terms of "subjects" after reading you post today. Very, very nice sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to smile...all your groceries become potential subjects now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sure brought back memories. My Mom made chili sauce every year and it was wonderful. Hope you will share your grandmother's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ginny, I love the sketch and love cooking and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do NOT love cooking. But I do love sharing family recipes and I do the best I can. I'd really rather PAINT the ingredients and have to put them together! But I do enjoy making a few family favorites especially when the grandkids enjoy eating it! Thanks for commenting...I am so honored to have to drop by.

    ReplyDelete