Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sketching in an Urban Environment


There are, come to find out, a whole group of "sketchers" that call themselves "urban sketchers" and I think Danny Gregory is one of those.  It is really worth a look as there are urban sketchers there from all over the world!!!
I love going to Danny's  blog and watching the videos of him sketching in urban locations.  This sort of inspired me me to sketch a street scene on the 4th of July.  My husband, daughter and 4 grandsons set up on the shady side of the main street in  Minocqua for the parade about half an hour before it started.  AND so since I had a small sketch book with me I sketched what I saw across the street (minus the crowds gathering).   I decided to use water soluble ink this time and then added just a touch of color at the very end.  I used a water brush which I am still experimenting with but in a case like this, it was perfect not having to pour out water into anything.  The sketch is small (4 x 8) and, due to the detail, took about
45 minutes to do.  It made waiting for the parade go by very quickly!  I ignored the crowds in this sketch.  
The storefronts were Minocqua Popcorn and Ann Marie's restaurant.  Just a lucky choice as my husband chose the location.  It was a festive day and the weather lovely at 75 degrees.  Just as the first Veterans arrived to play taps and start the parade, an eagle dropped out of nearby tree and flew the entire length of the parade route within plain view of all the crowds.  There was a hush of awe at the serendipity of this.  


3 comments:

  1. I love the sketch and the photo. How awesome and perfect about the eagle. I've never seen one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ginny...How I wish I had been there. You are making me very nostalgic for the north woods! I love your sketch ... it is very quirky and creative. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quirky is probably a good word...when I sketch in pen (NO pencil first) everything takes on a sort of spontaneous look that I sort of like. I can't believe that Jana has never seen an eagle in the wild! Barb, did you see some when you here?

    ReplyDelete