Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Certificate of Authenticity

A few years ago back in S.E Wisconsin, my art league there (Lake Geneva Art Association) had in an attorney to speak about art. One of the things that came up was the problem of art being either "copied" from the original (thus you might hang a painting in a gallery and then see it re-painted by someone else!) or someone who reproduces your art and sells it without your permission.

The attorney suggested that we put a certificate of authenticity on paintings we sell or hang in galleries to sell.

Whether or not this would hold up in court or not I don't know. But it might give someone pause before trying to copy it!

You should be able to click on and enlarge the image shown here but in case it won't enlarge the words say: "this certifies that the above mentioned art was designed and executed by the artist, Ginny Stiles. The artist further verified this art by retaining a photograph to document authenticity. The original may not be altered in any way and permission must be granted from the artist to reprint the image in any manner. The artist hereby certifies the appraised gallery replacement cost of the above mentioned art to be________________."

The last part is also added as a precaution if the painting were stolen from a gallery or
there was a fire. The artist should attach a copy to the painting and keep a copy themselves along with a photo of the art work.

This certificate was designed by me and using my own words. I would be very interested to know if anyone else out there does anything similar or if you have had an experience with art being copied or stolen.

3 comments:

  1. Thank You Ginny, that is a terrific idea and I'm going to make one myself. Great Tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this really helped me in preparing my own, thanks so much for the presentation!@bose
    Certificate Of Authenticity Template

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the example. I wanted to create a COA for my paintings and this is a great basis for it!

    ReplyDelete