Thursday, May 30, 2013

Cupcakes and the history of the paint tube

Tidings, Schway, St. John's Cross, Jemz, Widgets, Striping
I know, here I go again on the cupcake thing.  They seem to fascinate me how many way I can make them!  Hahaha.  So when I just need to relax and "zen" out, it's a fun thing to do.  I am going to put some into an art show...more on that later.

Also wanted to mention an article in the May Smithsonian that you might have missed.  My sister just sent it to me.  It is entitled "Color App".  And it's about the history of the paint tube.  Something most of us take for granted now.  It was invented by John G. Rand, an American portrait painter living in London in 1841.  Painters were carrying their paints in pig's bladders (I kid you not).  Once punctured the paint dried out quickly.  So en plein air painting was very difficult!  Made from tin and sealed with a screw cap, the collapsable tube gave paint a long shelf life! When it caught on, it was just what the Impressionists needed!  It's a great little article...if you don't get Smithsonian, stop by the library and turn to page 20 for a fascinating read.  Thanks Sis!  




1 comment:

  1. Busy, busy - have fun teaching camp and enjoying your grandchildren this summer!

    ReplyDelete