Sunday, January 24, 2016

Urban Sketching and Steam Punk

Moleskin landscape journal 

Cynthia's Urban Sketching Group staying warm while sketching
at the Fiesta Grande Restaurant.

After THE coldest night of the 2016 Florida winter so far (we had skim ice on our bird bath this morning), the Urban Sketching group decided on a lovely lunch in Mt. Dora and since they were not crowed we all did some show and tell and then settled down to do some sketching right there in the restaurant.  My husband, Greg, came along for the meal and he played iPad games while we sketched.

We read in the paper that Renniger's (in Mount Dora) was having a Steam Punk Festival this weekend.  I have never heard of such a thing but was totally intrigued.  If it hadn't been so cold I think we might have gone over to see what was what.  Steam Punk is defined as a "mix of science fiction, 19th century fashion and industrial design."  Great description.  I have been trying to come up with one for years.  It said that a common accessory for participants to wear to the event was goggles.  I kid you not.  And I think it's perfect.  Steam Punkers want to time travel.  I guess the festival is held several times a year.  I hope I make it over next time.

1 comment:

  1. You captured a fabulous photo of all of us. It was a fun day and the restaurant was so gracious to allow us to art in their warm place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete