Thursday, January 30, 2020

Old Oak by the River


A few blog posts ago I showed the first draft of this painting.  But I noticed this morning that I never posted the finished painting. It's16 x 20 on Yupo paper.  It's definitely an "interpretation" or "impression" of the photograph that Russ Lewis took a few weeks ago along the river here in Hawthorne Park.  Actually with Yupo paper you are forced to work in this way.  

My favorite Yupo artist will always be the late George James.   He was very amazing.  I have 3 of his DVDs which I treasure.  If you google his name you can find snippets of him on YouTube advertising his DVDs.  If you are serious about trying the substrate out I'd recommend his first DVD as THE most comprehensive.  I've been asked to do a short intro to Yupo at the Art Club a week from tomorrow.  

Yupo is but mid-range in price as far as paper goes.  You can buy large sheets 26 x 20 for about $4.00 and this painting is half that sheet.  You can buy it in tablets 9 x 12 for about $12.  It comes in different weights but all are about the same surface.  



Mostly the painting is just celebrating warmth, sunshine and an old tree that has given pleasure to many and helps to hold the river bank together...and home to probably a million different life forms.
Once you become a "tree whisperer" all trees take on a somewhat holy reverence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment