Saturday, February 1, 2020

Framing Day...getting ready for an art show


The Fine Arts Show comes on March 1 this year.  But the planning, the framing, the applications, etc all have to be pretty well in advance.  Below is a watercolor sketch I did on location back in 2007.  I have never shown it, to my memory, but down here in Florida it makes a perfect place.  This is the St. Augustine lighthouse.  I climbed to the top of it once!  (Them were the good old days before knee surgery!) I think Mary and Den were visiting us from England that spring and since I'd been in the museum once I sent them all on ahead and I perched outside and sketched.  

13 years ago and I remember it just like today.   Drawing or sketching things as you travel etches the place, time, temperature, light and even the remembrance of who was with you and what you feeling.  Special thanks to Peg Lindsey for gifting me with some extra mats and frames!  




This little painting was done from a photograph I took up in Wisconsin one fall day when we were nostalgically looking for buildings that held memories of our past.  This is farm house and barn that belonged to Greg's grandparents.  His mother had 3 siblings and two of them, the youngest, were twins, Lucille and Richard.  They were born in this farm house and their mother died there in childbirth.   The twins were then split up and raised in two different households.  They connected again as adults. 

I've always kind of liked this little painting as it seem quiet and a little forlorn.  



No comments:

Post a Comment