Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Time Is a Spiral

"Time Is a Spiral"
12 x 12 on canvas (multi-media)

This fun nonsense is acrylic, collage and ink.  I love working in abstract...it's sort of like writing a poem...in many cases you are not quite sure how your plan is going to play out.  

In this case I had my composition in mind (crucifix) and I had my first layer of medium decided (hand painted collage papers).  Color combinations evolved as I went along.  I started out thinking I wanted to finish in white gouache...and there are several layers of this in white.  But as it evolved and became a poem about "time" I found myself going somewhere else.  Abstract paintings let you play a lot.  

Some of the stencils I used reminded me of piano keys and music, the gears reminded me of clocks, and color peeking through spaces reminded me of the serendipity of time.  At some point I had to stop...that's one the hardest questions...is it done?

Here's a photo showing that this is on gallery-wrapped canvas.  It will be varnished but not framed.  It hangs as is.  




No comments:

Post a Comment