Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bob Burridge Workshop: Day Three

I am starting with one of Bob's paintings first today. This is, believe it or not, a watercolor. When he completes this, he sprays it several times with a fixative. After it is dry he varnishes it with an acrylic gloss varnish. Then with a thick layer of acrylic gel, he glues the watercolor (or acrylic) to a canvas that is about 1/2" larger than the painting. He supports the inside of the canvas with block of wood and then cover the painting with a poly plastic sheet and then a weight on top of that and let's it dry for 24 hours. After that he revarnishes the whole thing one more time to seal the edges to the canvas. He is quick to point out the advantages of such framing (no mats, no frames, no glass). However, he does mention that not every gallery or exhibit will accept this kind of framing so you need to check before doing it.

This acrylic collage is one of mine from today. It is a background collage i that the idea is that I may add more to it as I go along. You can probably see that I have already painted some acrylic on top of the collaged papers.

The only criticism Bob might have is that I really did not start out with any "intention" other than to experiment with the papers and colors I brought with me. So we'll see where this one goes. He really wants people to have some "idea" or "intention". And I agree that this makes perfect sense.

My Puerto Rican angel is from yesterday's post with some added collage. The music is to "A Bicycle Built for Two"...thus the wheels in the collage. She's just kind of funky with that hair. No golden curls for this angel! We'll see where this goes.

I came home totally exhausted at 4:30. How the class is going to go out to dinner and to a gallery tonight I have no idea. Usually I join the group for stuff like that, but Greg had a model train meeting, and I have already been to Moondeer Gallery this season. So I begged off. PLUS I am ready to drop!

No comments:

Post a Comment