Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Reworking an old painting...

This is a 16 x 20 acrylic on canvas I started last summer and ran out of time. Some of you might remember it. It is somewhere in my archive from last summer.

It already looks quite different than when I left it. But I need help working out the foreground...a common problem for me. I am thinking of extending the tree on the right down off the bottom of the painting. I could add some small pines or some rocks or something. What do you think?

I am a little concerned about the 3 red trees which I think are all too much the same size. I may enlarge one. Which one? I am thinking off to the left rather than dead center.

Does anyone have other suggestions?


2 comments:

  1. How about the closest red tree being larger, and even going off the side. The foreground...maybe a more defined path, like rocks along the edge. OR...leave the three little red trees and the path alone, and have a real close up of the top of a bush (maybe the red colors)sneaking in the lower right corner.
    Sherese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ginny, nice start! It reminds me of the azaleas in Callaway Gardens. They are lovely, but difficult to paint because of all the same shapes and colors between the pines.
    I think you will be able to solve the foreground without any help. My only suggestion is to look at the spacing of the verticals- too even? It almost looks like thirds. Then, be careful of the diagonals- light ones will lead your eye off the surface. I think you could set up the composition into a Z quite easily though. Yea for acrylics- like oils we can play around with it!

    ReplyDelete