Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Parallel Universe

I have been somewhat fascinated by many of the "universe" science shows on TV lately. And I am a fan of fantasy and science fiction literature.

The idea of a "parallel" universe is one that always touches a chord of resonance with me. What if. Just what if.

This painting explores that in whimsical fashion. A world beyond which we cannot know or see but "might" be there...maybe even duplicating our world in some other way? The dictionary says one meaning of parallel is occurring or existing at the same time
So I have peeked behind the lush orchard fruits and leaves in sort of an Alice- through-the-looking-glass way.

My apples in sunshine watercolor was pleasant enough but to me but it lacked punch, surprise, or a story....things I love in a painting. I'd like people to "look twice" and then maybe even come closer to see "whatever is going on here?"

It always seems to me when I add a Zentangle approach in black and white to an otherwise colorful painting...an air of mystery, surprise, fantasy begins to unravel the subject matter.

So I call this painting "Parallel Universe". 11 x 15, Arches cold press wc with ink and graphite.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, unusual painting. I love the "background' zentangles,

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just HAVE to comment on your zentangles/WC's..........they are wonderful! Love to get into something like this..someday, my art quilting takes me in many directions, but these are exciting to me. Keep it up, I'll enjoy this all through you. THANKS.
    Hugs to you & yours, Paulette in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have read about the Higgs bosun and the speculations about the true and complete nature of every possible reality. In my next life, I want to be a cosmologist but with the requisite talents and insights (Hawking a good example). I like your idea in this painting. Always nice to hint at the mysterious "other." Looking forward to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooooo cool! You are on to something here! Keep going and going along this line - I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really beautiful. I have been behind in my blog reading, so have been whizzing through many posts. But this one really caught my eye. Nice work. I like what you are doing with the zentangles.



    Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by Mimi.
    I've been searching through many of the Zentangle blogs and have found fun, quirky and amusing ones.
    AND some beautiful ones.
    But what I am doing in rather rare...incorporating the design into a watercolor.
    I personally love the painting with the Memories Zentangles behind the old lamp. But I have to admit this painting has been the cause of much interest.

    ReplyDelete