Sunday, November 17, 2013

Dip Pen Sketches

Sketch on Multi media paper (about 4 x 5")
Sumi ink and watercolor

I wanted to see if quick sketches were really possible with a dip pen (like Danny Gregory does).  I had some black Sumi ink.  It really works nicely on the multi-media paper which is quite smooth (not Bristol smooth) but close.  

The think I didn't realize was that Sumi ink is not waterproof.  Huh?  I guess I had never painted over it.  Of course it started bleeding out.  Blah!  So India Ink would be much much better, of course.  But I don't have any at the moment.  But the point was using the dip pen and I did like it.  Very easy to work with and light in the hand.  

Not good for portable work...no one wants to carry around a bottle of ink!  But just for sketching your coffee mug, muffin and yogurt in the morning..works great.  I used acrylic ink for the muffin (all I had was sepia for that) and I didn't like it as well.  It is too watery.  But it is waterproof.  

You can view Danny doing his here.


No comments:

Post a Comment