Friday, December 7, 2018

Sketching in Mount Dora, FL


The sketching group gathered in Mount Dora last Tuesday, Dec 5 for a little art.  It was a chilly morning (about 55) and windy.  So none of us wanted to stay out too long.  But the sun was lovely and so it turned out rather fun after all.   I sat in the shade of a "slatted" wood wall and ended up in interesting shadows myself!  

I moved to the corner at the main intersection on 5th Avenue and found interesting shapes, Christmas decorations, and got caught up in the wiring of the street lights! The building to the left on my sketch is the one with lots of wrought iron that looks like a New Orleans type building. Across from it,   I discovered a building I'd been by a million times that is called the Shamrock Building. I never knew that until I started sketching it.

Built in 1925 by James Simpson, the Shamrock building was first operated as a hotel.  Then it became the First National bank of Mt Dora which operated there until 1964.  It appears to be commercial property now.  

In this photo taken some year ago you can see where I was sitting to the right of the information booth facing toward the Shamrock Building.  Now and then there are horse drawn buggy rides available although I haven't seen them lately.  



5 of us went out to lunch at the Thai restaurant just down the block after painting.  We'll all meet at the Leesburg Library next Tuesday for our last get together in 2018.  

No comments:

Post a Comment