Friday, February 15, 2019

Becoming Unhinged...or how to make an Altoid Palette.




I've been collecting Altoid Mint tins for awhile knowing that they are really quite lovely for holding wc paints in a small concise way.  
(And the mints are yummy too.) 
The tins are easy to carry.  You can buy half pans on the internet and glue them into the base...something I have done fairly successfully.  Then I looked at a blog called "madebyfay".  (You can see it on my sidebar in "blogs I follow".  I love her work.  Information about ordering the cool insert is on her blog. These hold more paint AND in addition you are able to fit more pans.  

She found someone in KY who designed for her an insert that exactly put 15 little slightly larger than half pan inserts into an Altoid tin!  See her photo below.  And he used a 3D printer!!! How cool is THAT.  





SO I was able to order one of these and it just came.  And voila, it does indeed fit perfectly.  Note that Fay has unhinged another tin and is using just the cover for an added mixing space for her paints.
AND she has painted the inside of the covers white so that the paint will have a good background for the mixing.  

So my white paint is drying.  Now I have the delight of figuring out exactly what colors to take with me on my next foray out into the sketching world.  

Below is the progress on "life in general".  



No comments:

Post a Comment