Thursday, December 24, 2009

Before Christmas

A few years back I painted this view of our Christmas table for my Christmas card. I loved how none of the chairs matched.

It was late in the afternoon when I took the reference photo and the sunlight danced over the tables and walls. It was that special moment just an hour before the first guests arrived when the presents were all wrapped, the turkey and ham were all prepared, the tree was decorated, the driveway was plowed, and I could sink down with a glass of wine and take a long moment to contemplate Christmas love. That special moment before the laughter and the wrapping paper and the snowy coats on the bed. Before the children called out joyous greetings to each other. Before the first hugs and the clinking plates. Just that moment before.

So I wish you joyous "before" moments today and tomorrow. Anticipation is half the fun. This year we will light the luminaries in our park in FLorida and then drive our golf cart around after Christmas Eve services to take in the beauty of the lights. Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas table - it brings fond memories to me also! It is also an excellent painting. Merry Christmas and Blessings in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb...this painting more than many, brings back that wonderful anticipation. Kind of a holding your breath. Such a happy moment...so satisfying. Christmas IS ready feeling. I can look at it and the whole day comes back to me in an instant.

    ReplyDelete