Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hand Painting My Collage Papers

I remember Eric Carle paints his own collage paper too. Remember him? The Very Hungry Caterpillar? If you click on his name you'll see a slide show of him painting his tissue papers (similar to Elizabeth) except he gets really intricate patterns (also using stamps) because in his work he uses large pieces of collage.

Elizabeth uses tiny pieces in hers. (Although she does blob and drip and throw paint on her papers too!)

After viewing Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson's DVD...I got right busy and started painting some of MY own collage papers. Now I can go back and blob and drip and throw too if I so choose. First I am going through my photo references to see what I might be wanting to try first. I have to keep this so simple for my first try at Elizabeth's type of painting. I plan to use a piece of YES gessoed canvas board for my first piece.

These you see above are all rice paper ones here but she also encourage you to tint newspaper, sheet music, and homework papers (yes, she really did say that!) I used fluid acrylics and regular bodied acrylics for the tinting. Elizabeth makes the very solid point that if you paint your own papers you are now using your OWN palette of colors, not someone else's!

You'll really enjoy her reasonably priced DVD. Check it out by clicking her name above.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting this looks Ginny - I've often been tempted to try Elizabeth's collage techniques, but am trying hard to focus on just one (or two) things for a while... one day I'll get to it! Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete