Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Finishing off Mossy Cottage

Now is a big step-back time. Asking myself, "Where is that interesting place to stop?"

Now I am looking mainly at lights and darks. I've added a lot of dark to the main entrance and some up in the architectural area over the door and under the roof.

My husband finds the vignetted foreground bothersome. He wants a little more detail in the bushes/flowers as he feels like it gives it an "unfinished" look. But I don't want to detract from the house with a busy foreground. Yet I do think he has a point. The actual landscaping had some nice grassy like bushes in the foreground which would add some nice texture. So I am "thinking" about that. He also thinks the shadows thrown by the pergola slats could be slightly darker. But I am not sure I want to touch those. There is a house # above the door which I think I am going to put in. This is a historic house in Mt. Dora, FL. So I don't mind identifying that.

My original plan was to put more trees behind the house. But I am holding off on that for now. I could go back and add a little more blue to darken the sky a little or infer some clouds. I left it pretty light just over the house and I could infer some clouds there. Or I could make trees that went right up to the top of the paper. So many ideas. If anyone has a thought about this, let me know.

I am generally pleased with the the work...the looser interpretation and the warm tones. With Christmas ahead now and a lot of company I am going to have to put it aside.

5 comments:

  1. Ginny, this is looking good - I wouldn't do anything more than a quick wash of green to indicate grass in the foreground. I truly didn't "see" that it was missing as my eye went right up those steps to the front door - then wandered around the porch and all those great shadows. I would add one more value darker on the shadows but no more. I think it is almost done and so beautiful! Love the colors :) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps a bit of green along those hard edges in the foreground to soften them a bit? Then let it run down softly. I agree with Rhonda, just a touch darker on the shadows under the curved roofline, then just a tiny touch of color where that goes into the main roof? But not much - you have captured the sunlight. Try out the changes with a piece of acrylic to see how it will look.
    Excellent job! You have mastered Judy Betts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for some good ideas on "a creative and interesting place to stop". I'll probably let this sit awhile as I have company now for a few weeks. When I make the final touches I will post this again. I am at a comfortable spot to "rest" on it. There are some points in a painting when I have to go on. Where I have to get up early and proceed because my mind has been working on it in my sleep!!! :-) We are off to Kennedy Space center tomorrow and I'll take my sketch book with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this painting, Ginny! It is truly strong in every way. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ginny.. love this piece... soft enough to just stay and enjoy.. but strong enough to catch your eye!..thanks for sharing it.. knowing where to stop is always a struggle.. this is a beautiful painting just like it is!! way to go!!

    ReplyDelete