Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mossy Cottage: glazing

Now it's probably time, as Judi would say, to "step back and think awhile".
The last two washes and some details have warmed up the painting considerably. I am using Judi's ideas about not painting in the windows some dead dark...but rather warm darks in layers. I think they will need to go darker as the painting progresses. Like Judi I am trying out oranges and orange-pinks and warm grays in the windows. I am trying not to cover up the nice early washes. I am thinking I may come back now with background greens because that is going to "pop" out the shape of the cottage and change the contrasts between the colors. So I want want to tweak some colors when that is done. At the very end, Judi often glazes areas of the painting to help you focus on the center of interest which in houses is "usually" doorways. The brick steps make a nice eye lead in for that. Judi keeps her foregrounds very simple and quiet so as not to detract. That will be a challenge. I may just imply and vignette it off.

Judi says that "No painting is ever done. You just learn to stop in interesting places."

3 comments:

  1. This is stunning. I love the delicate handling of he colors and the light key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ginny - this is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement. I do hope now that I manage to find that "interesting" point for the finish! :-) I'd like to work on it today and tomorrow because time constraints are ahead...wonderful warm sunny Florida Sunday afternoon! Windows open...oranges ripe on the trees, light breeze, 80 degrees. No excuses!

    ReplyDelete