Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

It's the birthday of a man considered to be the most popular children's book writer in American history, the best-selling children's book writer of all time, and a man who revolutionized the way children learned to read: Theodor Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss.

He was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, on this day in 1904. He's the author of more than 60 children's books, includingHorton Hears a Who! (1954), One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish(1960), Green Eggs and Ham (1960), Hop on Pop (1963), Oh, the Thinks You Can Think! (1975), The Butter Battle Book (1984), and of course, The Cat in the Hat (1957).

Learning about his life is amazing. His mother was a high platform diver and his father was a zoo keeper. (I kid you not.) When I was teaching school, a zillion years ago, we'd often have a birthday cake on March 2 and celebrate his birthday.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this man, I really did!
    I'm big now, but when I was a kid
    I loved his rhymes and his syncopation,
    Time now for a sweet and tart libation!
    Thanks so much
    for telling us
    that Dr. Suess
    has birthdays, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his books, I do, I do!
    My grandkids really love them too.
    We read them night, we read them day!
    Grandma and the kids all say......
    Wow! He really makes our day!

    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I love your clowns, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... my brings so many memories back of reading his wonderful work to my kids and loving it as much as they did!!! he lived here locally, in fact next door to my girlfriend, when we were growing up.. so i was lucky to have met him... what a wonderful man.. his books always made me smile and laugh...

    ReplyDelete