Friday, June 13, 2014

Pretending to be "en plein air" in Florida!

Watercolor/ink on canvas 12 x 6 gallery wrapped



I snapped a photo of Ta'Da' Gallery in New Smyrna Beach, Florida a few winters ago during a field trip the Leesburg Art League took to the coast.

We visited many different galleries that day. 
I just thought this one with the scalloped trim, the pink, blue and yellow color scheme and the flag was darling.  

So yesterday we got a "no-go" day for our en plein air Outdoor Painter's Group up here…why?  It was 45 degrees, NO sunshine, and 30 mph wind.  How's that for June 12th!!!?  ARRRGH.

So I "pretended" to be sitting in front of this shop  instead. I turned the heat on in the studio. Made a pot of coffee, and turned on some nice music.  I had the photo on my iPad which I sat in a small table easel so it was upright in front of me.  And the delightful part of the iPad version is you can take your fingers and spread out (enlarge) sections of the image anytime you want a closer look.  I found things I did not see at first look! (like the little easel with the painting on the front porch).  Turns out TaDa has a FB page here.
And they are moving and will open June 28th at a new location at 306B Flager.

Outside the big window in front me the wind raged and the dark clouds scudded by and spatters of rain came and went all day.  I barely noticed.  The afternoon slipped away so pleasantly.  

I put it aside to work on some framing later in the day so as to be able to send in my application for the July Manito Art Show coming up.  I am going to be pretty busy the next few weeks and sure don't want to forget to do this!!!  Then I did some finishing touches to this little painting this morning.

I took the photo in indoor lighting which is not a good idea.  It really has nicer color than shows up in the photo.  I'll have to try it again another time.

We are off to Madison, WI to see our grandson, Nate, graduate from Madison West high school tomorrow.  the ceremony is at the Kohl Center.  It's about a 4 hour drive.  We'll stay in motel tomorrow night and drive back Sunday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment