Saturday, January 26, 2019

The Steam Punk Festival


Greg and I had a nice time today. We headed for Mt. Dora around noon and had a nice lunch at Bob Evans.  Then to the Steam Punk Festival at Renniger's.  It was not as big as last year but I thought more people dressed up.  The costumes were outrageous.  I'll post my favorite at the end of this post.  

The weather was only 50 and windy and cloudy.  Really not sketching weather.  I did all these sketches standing up except for the girl on the right.  I found a picnic bench to do that one.  I didn't use any pencil on these...just my Lamy fountain pen.  Had fun conversations with folks.  The guy who made the "gadget" at the top left which was about 2' tall, by the way, was VERY chatty and he wanted to know what I did with my sketches.  Did I sell them?  I said no that they were the story of my life.  He got such a giggle out of that.  But I think from the twinkle in his eye that he understood.

We only stayed two hours and I was cold all through.  Just a sweater, jeans, and wind breaker.  I am a weather wimp as you know.  Greg's cousin's wife in central WI wrote this evening that tomorrow the windchill there would be -57.  That is not a misprint.
I am stunned.  So obviously she was oblivious to MY complaints.

So here's my favorite steam punk costume.  And there were many many of them.  People love to dress up!  That was sort of a hand crafted "ray gun" or something he was holding.  Steam punk is sort of a combination of renaissance and back to the future.  Top hats and goggles are important.  The rest is up to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment