Thursday, November 19, 2009

Carol Steven's workshop



Today was my day to think more "abstractly". Starting with the black and white photo and then moving back up to the top, you can see how Carol teaches the progression into an abstract painting.

This is, of course, MY version of how to do it. Everyone in the class had VERY different versions.

We worked in watercolor and collage but it would apply to any medium. We traced the photo (or painting) twice...first just an outline and then a second time she had us pick the center of interest and draw some lines that would separate the center of interest from the rest of the painting and then design the lights and darks. Then put what we drew onto the watercolor paper and begin.

I don't think abstract is my "thing" BUT I did find it refreshing and relaxing and I would do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Even though I'm not into abstract, I like that concept and may try it, too - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete