Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Moving along on the Banner

Several folks have asked again what the support for the banner is...what am I painting ON? The banner is canvas..fairly heavy weight. It has been gessoed on both sides. The top and bottom edges have been turned over and stitched so that a support bar can be slipped through.

Right now I am wondering if I should have gessoed it twice. But too late for that now. I am struggling to find the right mixture of the acrylic for the painting. Juicier mixtures seems to spread more evenly but now I have to see how they dry.

I have basically begun with the wagons..now allowing that to dry so I can see how it is going to look. I'll be putting a border all around the yellow sign at the top. There will be flowers in each of the wagons in various containers. I am trying to keep track of the time I am spending on this side because I do have to do something with the back.

I could add another coat of gesso to the back before doing that. I don't want the colors or shadows of the art work on one side to show through to the other side!!! I am taping off the straight lines so that takes a little more time and I need to go and get more cheap masking tape for this. At first I was worried about the amount of paint I would use but it isn't going to be too bad. I only have about 10 days to finish this and so it will be my exclusive art work now until it is done. (I also have to teach two journal classes in that time frame!) YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment