Saturday, September 10, 2011

75 day sketching Challenge : Leslie Johnson

The 75 Day Sketching Club (Ginny, Joan, Leslie, and Susan) are having lunch on Wed. We are bringing our sketchbooks to share! I can hardly wait. What a fantastic bunch of painters/sketchers! So fun! Joan and I are soon headed off to Florida for the winter and so this is sort of a farewell lunch!

I am up to almost 30 sketches now out of 75. Still a ways to go!!!

But what has fascinated us all, is how 4 different people each with only a black pen, can do things so differently!!!

Here is Leslie's most current one...reflecting the autumn feel and full of tomato jelly. OH YUM! Making still lifes out of food or ingredients for a recipe is a favorite of mine. I did a "Making Apple Cake" in acrylic last fall about this time. Several of the Sketch Club have suggested she do this in color later! Imagine the rich tomato colors!!! And I would entitle it "We Eat the Blessed Earth"...see poem below.

I am reminded of something one of my favorite poets has written:

Last year, Mary Oliver published her 20th collection of poems, Swan(2010). It includes the poem "Beans Green and Yellow":
In fall it is mushrooms
gathered from dampness
under the pines:
in spring I have known
the taste of the lamb
full of milk and spring grass;
today it is beans green and yellow
and lettuce and basil from my friends' garden —
how calmly, as though it were an ordinary thing,
we eat the blessed earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment