Friday, April 28, 2017

"Home is a Feeling"





Have you ever thought about writing your story? No, not A story, YOUR story.  Some things are sort of falling into place indicating that maybe it's time for me to start thinking of some sort of small but hopefully interesting way to leave a bit of my legacy to my heirs by way of story telling.  

Two things sort of came together this past week...a lunch with friend Diane where we talked about this subject and she steered me to a website and a book that might be a good way to start that journey.  You may have heard of it. It's called Eating an Elephant: Write Your Life by Patricia Charpentier.   So that was one event.

And then one of the Facebook Groups I belong to had a challenge to put down something in our journals this week about the word "home".  Whatever you want.  I started thinking about my "roots" and about what would be my FIRST home.   I had an old old photo of the house I lived in from age 6 to age 16.  But when I when to Google streets I was able to find a much more current picture of the way it looks today...which is almost exactly as it did 60 years ago when I grew up there.  

So many stories came into my mind looking at the photo.  Oh my.
And drawing my "interpretation" of the house brought back more...suddenly the lilac bush beside the gate flooded back and sandbox and my dog and my handprints in the cement driveway and and and.  Well, you know how it goes.

This is about 9 x 11 on sketch paper with acrylic background (done with a brayer) and then ink on top with some watercolor which is transparent...like memories.  



No comments:

Post a Comment