Saturday, October 31, 2009

Step Four


Well, there went Saturday afternoon! :-) You know how it is when you are just playing around with paint! Of course, I flew past a lot of what Donna would have had me do had she been in the studio. Again, it's a patience thing with me. I put in the warms and cools as she suggests and then I began to try to decide what my color scheme should be. I picked the jacket to start with and tried then to stay with those colors (except for the darks). AND in even in the darks if you could see up close, I tried to put in the colors hiding in the darks.

I tried to stay with flat brushes as Donna does in order to keep the strokes in the painting. Keeping the whole thing "painterly" was my goal and trying to manage to keep my light and dark organization that I planned. I eliminated any suggestions of stairs as I painted...looked too complicated and busy. I still think it's too busy. What would you drop out? I would love to try this same composition now in transparent watercolor and in acrylic.

4 comments:

  1. Great job! Love your choice of colors and the composition works for me. If I changed one thing, I would create one bolt of cloth in a horizontal position butting up against the bolts standing (instead of the small bits of white and color there). Everything else - keep as is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...this is a GREAT idea. I'll work on it this afternoon. And it would give me a way of repeating the blue quilt pattern off to the left side.

    I wish now that I had made the shirt/jacket larger so that it became more of a focal point. I think I will try this again in acrylic. Do you think it would be fun to have a person in the quilt store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super to see your process through this Ginny - I really like how the eye is led up the bolt in the middle round the jacket and down the bannister to the bags. I agree, making the jacket bigger would also connect some of the shapes nicely into bigger shapes. I think it says enough about people without actually putting a person in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it doesn't need a person in it, Ginny. I feel like I have walked into the room and am seeing all these things - so the viewer is the unseen person perusing the fabrics and bags and...

    ReplyDelete