Saturday, October 31, 2009

Step Three


Donna redraws things a lot and I am not good at that or am not patient enough for that. So once I had the value sketch done, I took a light tracer and I put my tracing paper down and the final paper on top of it and retraced it with a pencil. I am using 4 ply Strathmore Bristol board for the final painting. I have used it successfully before. I don't have what Donna uses (115# Crescent Watercolor board) so I am making do. Then I retrace the pencil lines fairly lightly with a mixture of cobalt violet and permanent rose. I can't remember why I am doing this. (hahahahaha). I am doing this because Donna said so. Seriously, I think she wants the lines to remain visible after she puts on the first few washes of transparent watercolor. But now it's time for me to pop the video back in and look at this section again. At the last minute I did remember that she tapes carefully all her edges so water will not seep into the board and curl it apart. So now I am going to go and have lunch and mull over my thinking about this painting. Very fun...mullling. Sometimes I sleep on this part of the painting. Do you ever do that. Think of the issues and then go to sleep? Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I know just what I want to do.

Absolutely GORGEOUS Saturday here. Temps are about 82 right now. But it is supposed to warm up to 90 again by later this afternoon so I'll probably have the AC on again. Skies are cobalt blue and cloudless and I can almost hear my oranges ripening on the tree outside the studio window!!! Rhonda Carpenter has been emailing her tales of gorgeous color in KY. I am glad we got to see so much of that on the way down!!! But the hibiscus are blooming here and my hanging pots of flowers look so happy (if I keep them watered daily!!!).


2 comments:

  1. Ginny, our skies were spectacular today with rushing cloud layers, white at the bottom and swirled to the right and then dark blue on top of that and swirled to the right and then lighter blue and so on - a layer cake of clouds - and I didn't have my camera. I'm going to have to carry it with me all the time now.
    I like what you're doing with this - I'm tempted to get the Donna Z DVD so if you recommend it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, this process is very interesting ... will have to try it.
    Yes - I often sleep on "it" when painting and yes- it often happens that I have the solution when I wake up in the morning. There is not better way to solve a problem in painting than sleeping on it! I think some of my best ideas come just before I fall asleep, too!

    ReplyDelete