Sunday, October 25, 2009

Trip to Florida Journal Concludes


Barb Sailor mentioned she thought the addition of the nicer printing did a lot to make my journals seem more finished...or something like that. I wanted to note that this idea is, of course, plagiarized from other journals I've researched and read. But here's a tip....my moleskin watercolor (landscape) journal has a wonderful little expandable pocket in the back. In that I keep photocopies of my 3 favorite printing style pages. I try to leave a space when I am journaling that will be for a title or comment. Then I take a few moments at the motel or B & B or wherever along the way later to put in the printing. Sometimes it has to wait until I am at my destination. It can always be added later. If your journal does not have a pocket like that, tape an envelope inside the back cover. (I also keep an old postcard in there to use as a straight edge.)
The two entries I am showing last were really put in first. But they are more "generic" in nature.

The one with with the watering can/flowers is from a floral centerpiece at my daughter's home in Fontana, WI where we stayed for the first week of our journal back. It's lovely A-frame home set up in the hills and woods of Lake Geneva area. We have the place to ourselves during the week as it is a weekend retreat for them. The weather was pretty rainy while we were there so I didn't have time to journal out of doors and decided that the pretty floral piece would be a reminder of our stay there.

The one with the coffee cup was a small sketch done at at Egg Harbor restaurant in Lake Geneva, WI while waiting for my good friend, Jean, to arrive. The funny part was that I did the ink sketch of the table arrangement first and while concentrating on this, Jean came in and got seated a table away from me, walking RIGHT past me and not seeing that the lady with her head bent over her journal was me!!! So we sat for about 5 minutes at adjacent tables only about 6' apart waiting for each other! :-) Then I looked up and saw her. How we laughed. So be careful when you are sketching. (I added the color later.)

So now that I am finished with the trip journal I have to get going in my studio again!!! I am almost unpacked!!! It's taken me a whole week to find everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment