Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Re-do

140# Arches  11 x 15 watercolor

Today I had a about an hour in the studio to "play around" a little.  On my "short list" was to take a few of the watercolors that I had done in the past few years that just "didn't make the cut" and see if I could maybe make them better.

This one, entitled "Bed and Breakfast", did not have a center of interest, not enough darks, and poor cast shadows.  The "bones" were good.  I liked the painting.  I loved the white porch and the lantern light with the fun shadow against it. 

So all the shadows got darkened and I added a surprise shadow across the walk in the left corner area. I added some darker interest lines along the roof line in the center area. I darkened some of the window panes in the center.  I brightened the flowers close to the center of interest and softened the edges of the painting with a wash of gesso. 

What d'ya think?
 

3 comments:

  1. Ginny - I think the "redo" worked out so well...this is absolutely lovely - a wonderful painting which really sets the "mood!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny - this is wonderful! I love the crisp colors. It looks luscious.

    ReplyDelete